HILL 60 CEMETERY
AIF - 25
UK - 18
NZ - 12
UNIT NOT KNOW - 699
UNNAMED - 712
SPECIAL MEMORIALS - 34
ANZAC is the midmost of the three areas into which the fighting on Gallipoli, and the cemeteries in the Peninsula, are divided. The origin of the name and the general course of the fighting there are described in the Register of the Lone Pine Memorial. Hill 60 (Kaiajik Aghyl, or Sheepfold of the Little Rock), on the 60 metre contour line, is the end of a range which runs South-Eastward to Hill 100 between Kaiajik Dere and Asma Dere. At the beginning of August, 1915, it was in Turkish hands, and it commanded the shoreward communications between the forces at Anzac and Suvla. On the 21st August, the Suvla forces attacked Ismail Oglu Tepe, or "W" Hill; and, on the same day and the 22nd, Hill 60 was attacked from Anzac by the Canterbury and Otago Mounted Rifles, followed later by the 18th Australian Infantry Battalion and supported on the flanks by other troops. It was partly captured; and on the 27th-29th the captured ground was extended by the 13th, 14th, 15th, 17th and 18th Australian Infantry Battalions, the New Zealand Mounted Rifles, the 5th Connaught Rangers, and the 9th and 10th Australian Light Horse. The cemetery is just South of the summit of the hill, among the trenches of the actions of Hill 60. It was made after those engagements, and it was enlarged after the Armistice by the concentration of 42 graves from Norfolk Trench Cemetery and from the battlefield. It covers an area of 2,708 square yards; and it contains the graves of 25 soldiers from Australia, 18 from the United Kingdom, 12 from New Zealand, and 699 whose unit in our forces could not be ascertained. The unnamed graves number 712, and special memorials are erected to record the names of 16 soldiers from Australia, 16 from New Zealand, and 2 from the United Kingdom, known or believed to be buried among them. The New Zealand Memorial in the middle of the cemetery will form the subject of a separate Register. The cemetery is circular in shape, with a neck containing Plots I and II. It is surrounded at the back by a belt of pines thirty feet wide and on the North and South by a belt of shrubs; and cypress, rosemary and euonymus are planted among the graves. The Register records particulars of 754 British and Dominion burials.
Hill 60 (Kaiajik Aghyl, or Sheepfold of the Little Rock), on the 60 metre contour line, is the end of a range which runs South-Eastward to Hill 100 between Kaiajik Dere and Asma Dere. Hill 60 Cemetery is reached along a 800 metre track, which requires a 4-wheel drive vehicle during wet weather. Within the cemetery is the Hill 60 (New Zealand) Memorial which bears the names of the New Zealand soldiers who fell on Hill 60 and whose graves are unknown.
GRAVES OF INTEREST
Lieutenant Colonel C.Reynell 9th Australian Light Horse
- Killed 28th August 1915, aged 32.
- Killed just west of the crest of Hill 60 with Captain A.J.Jaffray, who is also buried here.