ORANGE TRENCH BRITISH CEMETERY
UK - 112
UNIDENTIFIED - 59
SPECIAL MEMORIALS - 6
Monchy le Preux is a village and
commune in the Department of the Pas-de-Calais, east of Arras, on the northern
side of the main road between Arras and Cambrai. Orange Trench Cemetery is close
to the village, on the minor road to Fampoux. Orange Hill, and Orange Trench,
were features of the Hindenburg Line defences, through which British troops
fought their way in April 1917, during the Battle of Arras. The Canadian Corps
returned here in August, 1918 and recaptured the ground, lost in March. Orange
Trench Cemetery was made after the fighting of the 9th/11th April 1917, when the
12th (Eastern) and 37th Divisions took Monchy. The cemetery covers an area of
515 square yards; and it contains the graves of 112 soldiers from the United
Kingdom, of whom 59 are unidentified. Six special memorials are erected to
soldiers known, or believed, to be buried here among the unnamed graves.
Monchy le Preux is on the north side
of the D33 main road from Arras to Cambrai. The cemetery is west of the village,
down a long minor road. It is well signposted.
GRAVES OF INTEREST
Captain D.S.Harding MC 13th Royal Fusiliers (D-21)
- Killed 10th April 1917, aged 32.
- Also served in German South-West Africa with Natal Caribineers.
Captain K.M.Wearne 2nd Bn Essex Regiment (Sp Mem 3)
- Killed 21st May 1917.
- Brother of 2/Lt F.B.Wearne VC, 11th Essex, killed 28th June 1917 (Loos Memorial).