CHANGES AT NEWFOUNDLAND PARK
BEAUMONT HAMEL (SOMME)
Newfoundland Park 1920s
The Newfoundland Park at Beaumont Hamel (Somme) is arguably one of the most important battlefield sites along the old Western Front. It is a vast area of preserved trenches, where men of the 29th Division fought on 1st July 1916, among them the Newfoundland Regiment who suffered over 700 casualties in the attack that day. Units of the 51st (Highland) Division finally took the area on 13th November 1916.
There are three military cemeteries in the park (Y Ravine, Hunters and Hawthorn No 2), two divisional memorials, preserved trenches and since July 2001, a modern visitors centre (this is open most days from 10.00-18.00).
Given that the park now receives more than 125,000 visitors a year is currently (April 2002) undergoing a process of renovation where new access paths are being added. This work will take at least two months, and during that time access to areas of the park will be limited.
The map below, which is available from the visitors centre, shows how the current access to the Newfoundland Park works. Print it off and use it on your next visit. Please note that the map is copyright Veteran's Affairs Canada and/or the Newfoundland Park.
Click on the above image for a full-size version.
Added to site: 18th April 2002.