OAK DUMP CEMETERY
UK - 426
AIF - 67
CEF - 16
UNNAMED - 125
SPECIAL MEMORIALS - 11
Oak Dump was a place two miles east of the village of Voormezeele, a little south of the Ypres-Comines canal. The cemetery covers an area of 1,266 square yards, and the irregular arrangement of the graves is due to its formation during active warfare following the Battle of Messines in June 1917. The cemetery stands in open country, and is now surrounded by a modern golf course. Ypres, Dickebusch, Voormezeele and "The Bluff" can be seen from it. In March 1918 a sap opposite the cemetery was blown in, and seven men of the 180th Siege Battery were killed in it. Their bodies were found in 1927 and buried in the cemetery.
LOCATIONOak Dump Cemetery is located 5 Km south of Ieper town centre, on the Bernikkewallestraat a road leading from the Rijselsesweg (N365) connecting Ieper to Armentieres. From Ieper town centre the Rijselseweg is located via the Rijselsestraat, through the Rijselpoort (Lille Gate) and by crossing the Ieper ring road, towards Armentieres and Lille. The road name then changes to Rijselseweg. 3 Km along the Rijselseweg lies the left hand turning onto the Vaartstraat. 1 Km along the Vaartstraat lies the first right hand turning onto the Bernikkewallestraat The cemetery itself lies 1 Km along the Bernikkewallestraat on the right hand side of the road.
GRAVES OF INTEREST
Lieutenant A.K.Nicholson (J-7) 18th Hussars
- Killed 31st October 1914, age 21.
- Only son of Herbert and Stella Nicholson of Bidborough Hall.