AIF – 527
NZ – 56
UK – 28
Unit not known – 72
Unnamed - 85
Spec Mem - 23



The upper part of Shrapnel Valley was called Monash Gully (after Sir John Monash, then commanding the 4th Australian Infantry Brigade). The main valley obtained its name from the heavy shelling of it by the Turks on the 26th April, 1915. It was an essential road from the beach upwards. Wells were sunk and water obtained from it in small quantities; on the South side of its lower reaches were camps and depots; and gun positions were made near the mouth of it. The cemetery was made mainly during the occupation, but partly after the Armistice by the concentration of isolated graves in the Valley. There are now nearly 700, 1914-18 war casualties commemorated in this site. Of these, over 80 are unidentified and special tablets are erected to commemorate 21 soldiers from Australia and two from the United Kingdom for whom there is evidence of burial in the cemetery. The cemetery covers an area of 2,824 square metres and the South-East side which borders the gully is enclosed by a concrete retaining wall.


Shrapnel Valley (or Shrapnel Gully) runs from the west side of the Lone Pine Plateau, behind Maclagan's Ridge, south-westwards to the sea near Hell Spit (Queensland Point).


bulletMajor Hugh Quinn 15 Bn AIF (III-C-21)

- Killed 29th May 1915

- Quinn's Post named after him.

- Direct link to Hugh Quinn's page on ANZAC Officers Died web site.

bulletCpl J.Burns 21 Bn AIF (II-D-37)

- Killed 18th September 1915

- Wrote famous poem ‘For England’

- Spent only ten days ashore – killed at Courtney’s Post


Back Home Up Next