UK - 1,114
CEF - 52
AIF - 4
SA - 2


Vlamtinghe (now Vlamertinge) is a village and commune in west Flanders, on the main road between Poperinghe and Ypres. The Church is on the North side of the main road, and from it a side road runs north-west to Hospital Farm, Elverdinghe. Vlamertinghe Military Cemetery was started by the French troops serving in Belgium in 1914. The Cemetery was used by fighting troops and Field Ambulances of the British Army from late 1914. It was very carefully tended by them until June 1917, when further extension was forbidden and burials practically ceased as the adjoining land was claimed for a military railway. A very high proportion of graves are from Territorial units; and in particular for the presence of nearly 250 Lancashire Territorial graves in plots IV, V and VI. During the early months of 1917 the 55th (West Lancs) Division, whenever it was possible, brought their dead from the front for burial here. The Cemetery covers about 6875 square meters. It is bounded by a terrace wall on the road frontage and on the other three sides by a stone kerb and a yew hedge. The Cross of Sacrifice is placed on the road frontage, and the War Stone at the east of the cemetery. The wrought iron gates were presented by the family of the late Lord Redesdale, whose son, Major C.B.O.Mitford DSO, 10this buried in the Cemetery. There are also four Second World War burials dating from the Allied retreat to Dunkirk in May 1940. The cemetery was designed by Sir Reginald Blomfield. The Register records particulars of 1175 War Dead.


Vlamertinghe Military Cemetery is located 5 km west of Ypres (now Ieper) town centre, on the Hospitaalstraat, which is a road leading from the Poperingseweg. From Ypres town centre the Poperingseweg (N308) is reached via Elverdingsestraat. Then go straight over two small roundabouts in the J. Capronstraat. The Poperingseweg is a continuation of J. Capronstraat and begins after a prominent railway level crossing. On reaching the village of Vlamertinghe, the cemetery is located on the Hospitaalstraat, which is the second right turning after the village church and is signposted at this junction. The cemetery lies a further 50 metres along the Hospitaalstraat on the right hand side of the road. There is parking in front, by the road.



Captain Francis Octavius Grenfell VC (II-B-14)  9th Lancers

- Died 24th May 1915, age 35.
- Son of Pascoe Du Pre Grenfell and Sophia, his wife. Educated at Eton, Francis became "Master of the Beagles" in 1898. On leaving Eton in 1899 he joined the 3rd (Militia) Battalion, Seaforth Highlanders. He saw service in the Boer War.
- The London Gazette dated 16th November 1914 records the following:-
"For gallantry in action against un-broken Infantry at Andregnies, Belgium, on 24th August, 1914, and for gallant conduct in assisting to save the guns of 119th Battery, Royal Field Artillery, near Doubon the same day."

Capt F.O.Grenfell VC


Second Lieutenant Harold Parry (VI-L-12)  17th Bn King's Royal Rifle Corps

- Died 6th May 1917, age 21.
- 'One of England's Soldier Poets'.


Back Home Up Next